Summertime is here! The sun is shining, the temperatures are rising, and your list of summer plans may include a few household favorites like swimming, amusement parks, or soaking up the rays. Remember! With great fun, comes great responsibility. To make sure your children enjoy summer as safe as possible remember the following tips with all your favorite outdoor activities this season!
How can I avoid dehydration, heat stroke, or heat exhaustion?
Sun safety first! If your plans include staying outdoors for short or long periods of time, take these steps to prevent dehydration or other conditions:
- Drink plenty of liquids. When it’s hot—especially during activities that require more action—stay hydrated with water, sports drinks, juice, iced tea, and other liquids. (Water is the best though!)
- Avoid the hottest part of the day. Try to plan heavier outdoor physical activities early in the day or after the sun begins to set and find shade or air conditioning during the hottest hours.
- Cool down. Watch out for heat exhaustion and heat stroke. These conditions occur when a person is overexposed to high temperatures. Take extra care to cool off and hydrate.
- Watch for these symptoms. Headaches, confusion, elevated body temperature, nausea or a racing pulse are all signs to seek emergency help immediately!
What are other ways to stay prepared for summer?
Building a first aid toolbox is a quick, easy, and efficient way to stay prepared for all your summer plans. Whether a trip to the beach, playground, or ball field, you and your family are susceptible to bug bites, cuts, scrapes, and sunburns! To enjoy your summer to the fullest, consider packing these items in your toolbox:
- Gauze, tape, adhesive bandages
- Antibiotic ointment
- EpiPen (for those with allergic reactions)
- Extra prescription medications (e.g. inhaler)
- Ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen
- Bug Spray
- Hydrocortisone ointment
- Baby wipes
- Lip balm
- Alcohol wipes
- ACE Bandage
- Small scissors & tweezers
How can I find out more information on protecting myself and my family this summer season?
If you have questions about keeping your family safe this summer season, contact the expert staff at Culbertson Healthcare Providers for more tips and tricks!